The second incarnation of my blog
So the football season ends and I have to say that I’m pretty pleased that it’s over. The second half of the season for Crystal Palace has been a nightmare to witness, but with the oddity that we reach the FA Cup final for the second time in the clubs history.
Sitting near the top of the Premier League table at Christmas was a surprise but the way they were playing was organised and exciting. Then the car crash started with the worst run ever.
After Christmas everything fell apart. The performances were variable and the number of games that we lost by one goal was very frustrating. We also failed to score enough goals which might seem obvious in football but some thoughts on the season in the league:
1. I believe that not playing Speroni cost us points. He’s a top quality goalkeeper and overshadows the two that have been used by some measure. If Pardew wont play him, we need to buy a better keeper than the ones we have.
2. Teams quickly worked out that if you nullify the two fast wingers, then we have very little more to offer in the attacking third of the pitch. When one of those wingers is injured for a period time we have fewer options.
3. Not signing any quality in January was a mistake. Taking Adebayor on a short term contract on stupid wages turned out to be a waste all round. He’s been ineffective.
4. There are times when players go through poor patches, but you have to know when to take them out of the team, for their own good. Cabaye and Puncheon both had times when they were not playing well but still stayed in the team.
5. We need to sign a new left back, new centre back and striker who scores goals.
The FA Cup run has been a distraction and we managed to beat many premiership teams en route who we then failed to beat in the league. I have no doubt that I will Pardews’ job would’ve been on the line in March had we not had the success in the cup.
Roll on the FA Cup.
And at least Connor Wickham is starting to grow on me…